Late Summer Update at Avenue B

Our little family has had a lot going on these past two months.  First and foremost, our little family isn’t so little anymore!  Our son, Steven, was married to a gorgeous woman, Melissa, last week – and when I say gorgeous, I mean inside and out!  She’s a gem.  I am so happy they found each other.  Her family and our family are now joined together and I could not be happier.  I love family, so being able to merge with a ton of aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, sisters is a bit of a dream come true.  My best memories involve  family get-togethers.  I look forward to many, many years of shared holidays and celebrations and just random visits that happen with when we live in close proximity to each other.

My brother, Trey, flew in for a week to help me with deconstruction.  We spent three days tearing out sheetrock and learning about the house, its history and its evolution.  (TEASER: I was very wrong about the old house and have lots of correct information coming forthwith.)  We did not accomplish as much as I had intended, because while we were working at the house, our soon-to-be married son was working on building the venue for his wedding.  It was pretty obvious he needed all the help he could get as he was turning a 13,000 square-foot old turkey barn into a barn they could get married in with 400 people attending.  (See what I mean about family!)  Trey and I removed enough sheetrock to allow the electrician and plumber access to what they needed to do.  EVERY single wall of the house is genuine shiplap.  EVERY.  WALL.  We left the house to the trades and moved over to help at the barn.  With the exception of a few half days and a quick trip to Florida to pick up my great grandparents furniture, we worked 12+ hour days in temps over 100 degrees (that’s 37 celsius).  Big Steve changed his flight to come a week earlier than planned and went straight to work.  Our son, Tyler, drove across country with me to haul the furniture and brought all his tools with him.  It was definitely all hands on deck.  But we made it!

The night of the rehearsal, the barn was full of sawdust and table and chairs were piled in the middle of what was supposed to be the dance floor.  The next morning, the day of the wedding, I had to be at the barn at 9:30 in the morning for a hair and make up appointment in our newly constructed bridal suite.  When I walked in, tears started streaming.  Melissa’s family, led by her sister-in-law Naomi who was in charge of all the decorations, had returned to the barn after the rehearsal dinner and worked until 2:00 in the morning to transform the barn into a beautiful wedding venue.  I was stunned.  Not only was it beautiful, but the scene showed just what happens when family pulls together.  In the end, that’s what it’s all about.

While we were in town, we did manage to get the electrical work, plumbing, and HVAC done.  A hundred and some years, and this was the first time the house was equipped with central heat and air.  Wow.  I have to say that while we were working in the house, we had the doors and some of the windows open and weren’t horribly uncomfortable.  They sure knew how to build them way back when.  Details of the deconstruction and everything we’ve learned about the house coming soon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s